Mom Tapes Son to Chair and Then Goes Swimming


Photo credit: Pixabay

An Ohio woman allegedly duct-taped her 11-year-old son to a chair and then left him alone at home.

Susan Malysa, 32, was arrested at the YMCA in Boardman, Ohio, where she had gone swimming with her 6-year-old daughter.

When police arrived, Malysa was arrested and charged with child endangerment, reports the Daily Mail. She appeared in court the next day and posted $10,000 bail.

The boy’s grandmother found him taped to a metal chair in the home’s basement. Earlier, she had asked to take him to lunch, but Malysa refused, saying that she was going swimming with her daughter and that her son was not coming along.

The grandmother, whose name has not been released, told police that she drove to the family’s home and found the boy tied up in the basement. “The child’s legs were duct taped to the legs of the chair around his ankles, each leg, and then his hands were duct taped together in front of him, and then he had a piece of duct tape across his mouth,” said Detective-Sergeant Chuck Hillman, reports KFMJ.

The tape was reportedly wrapped so tightly that she couldn’t get it off, and when it was finally removed by police, dark bruises were revealed on the boy’s face, resulting in him being rushed to a local children’s hospital.

“He does appear to be okay. He has been released. He’s in the care of relatives,” Hillman said.

The grandmother told police that the boy has a history of behavioral issues. She said he smeared feces on the walls and on stuffed animals the previous night. She also said he often lies about what happens to him and may have caused the bruises on his face.

However, she also suspected that her daughter was somehow abusing the boy, but when she tried to hire a counselor to help her grandson, her daughter refused to let the boy talk to the counselor alone.

According to a police report from April 2016, the boy told a school counselor a woman had hit him with a hammer to discipline him. The child was put in the care of another relative during that investigation, but Malysa was never charged. Police plan to reinvestigate the claims.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email